top of page
  • bsn city fc

City Ladies crowned Champions.

By Steve Gibson

Photo’s by Sharon Cowley

Sportspower Busselton City Ladies Premier League celebrated being crowned South West Soccer Association champions by scoring their 100th goal on Sunday. City overcame some enterprising play from second- placed Australind, before recording a convincing 6-1 win. Centre back Madee Rice did an excellent job policing Australind’s front two, while fullbacks Hannah Armstrong and Kayla Wright spent almost as much time on attack as on defence. Promising goalkeeper Nicole Roque impressed with her intelligent positional play and accurate distribution. After Therese Charlton opened the scoring before grabbing a second, Siobhan Longmore stamped her mark on the game with a well taken hat-trick. In the second half Busselton’s Chenaye Wright outpaced a tiring opposition to complete the scoring.

The Ladies Reserve side remain in premiership contention despite having to settle for a 2-2 draw against Australind. With an ounce of luck Busselton could have grabbed the winning goal just on the full-time whistle. Strikers Emily Killick and Finlay Godden found the back of the net before Australind equalised midway through the second half. City now must defeat league leaders Blackwood United on Sunday to keep their hopes alive. With defenders Claire Marchand-Jones and Mel Scott in good form and a return from injury by the experienced Danielle Paull, Busselton certainly have the goods to win what promises to be a hard fought encounter.

Despite ideal playing conditions, CMI Busselton City Men’s Premier team failed to fire in their 2-1 loss at Australind. After finding themselves a goal down in the first half Busselton fought their way back into the game courtesy of a Martin Ryan header. But in the second spell Busselton reverted to a long ball game which proved to be ineffective. With only 5 minutes remains a square looking Busselton defence was caught out and Australind notched the deciding goal.

The Men’s Reserve team led Australind 1-0 for well over an hour after Shane Russell displayed considerable composure in front of goal. City should have gone further ahead but a missed penalty proved costly as Australind then grabbed the ascendancy. It was no surprise when they equalised and went looking for the winner.

102 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page