top of page
  • bsn city fc

City to face tough Cup game

By Steve Gibson

Photo’s by Sharon Cowley

CMI Busselton City have an opportunity to make local soccer history at 3pm on Easter Monday at Churchill Park. City will be endeavouring to become the first South West side to progress past the fourth round of the nation-wide FFA Cup competition.

They will start as underdogs against Kwinana United who have been a powerhouse in the Perth Premier Amateur League in recent years. But Busselton have been in good form recording wins over Bunbury Dynamos, East Perth and Manjimup Rovers in the past three weeks. Coach Anthony Mills is aware that Kwinana will put his side under pressure almost from the opening whistle so the experience of defenders Andy Cowley, Cam Goldsmith and Jack Garnham will be invaluable.

Busselton will also be endeavouring to play in early balls to key striker Martin Ryan when in possession. Ryan’s hat trick of goals against Earth Perth a fortnight ago certainly showed that he still possesses the ability to find the back of the net.The ball winning ability of midfielders Jaxon Rynvis and Mattia Comelato will be vital if the local side is to cause an upset. Playing a game at this level will be important for the development of local youngsters Jacob Hemblen, Toby Neill and Matt Weed.

Last Sunday all three Busselton City sides took part in the South West Soccer association’s Pioneer Cup competition. The Rocky Ridge Ladies side continued to show improvement with newcomer Cat O’Reilly impressing with a whole-hearted effort in midfield. After a scoreless first half Australind dominated proceedings in the second spell and recorded a 5-0 win. City goalkeeper Stacey Rouse made several important saves in her comeback whilst the distribution of Jess Sheridan troubled the opposition throughout the match.

The Esplanade Hotel mens reserve side tired in the last 15 minutes before going down 2-1 against Hay Park. Busselton were the more convincing side initially with Sam Meyers and Tom Jowitt leading the way. It was no surprise when Busselton scored first after a Miles Palmer-Williams shot eluded the Hay Park goalkeeper. In the second half the opposition were awarded a penalty kick and equalised despite the efforts of Toby Hunter in the Busselton goals. Hay Park then scored again before a goal from Busselton winger Brad Scott was controversially ruled off-side.

36 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page